Course Status: Not Currently Scheduled
Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Certified Professional Coder (CPC) Preparation Program
Course Code: HL0305WB22
Date & Time: This class will run from April 2 – June 14, 2022; class sessions will be held on Saturday mornings and Tuesday evenings for a total of 6 hours of instruction per week.
SPRING 2022 COURSE SCHEDULE
Week One: Saturday, April 2, 2022 (10:00am – 1:00pm EDT) and Tuesday, April 5, 2022 (6:00 – 9:00pm EDT)
Week Two: Saturday, April 9, 2022 (10:00am – 1:00pm EDT) and Tuesday, April 12, 2022 (6:00 – 9:00pm EDT)
Week Three: Saturday, April 23, 2022 (10:00am – 1:00pm EDT) and Tuesday, April 26, 2022 (6:00 – 9:00pm EDT)
Week Four: Saturday, April 30, 2022 (10:00am – 1:00pm EDT) and Tuesday, May 3, 2022 (6:00 – 9:00pm EDT)
Week Five: Saturday, May 14, 2022 (10:00am – 1:00pm EDT) and Tuesday, May 17, 2022 (6:00 – 9:00pm EDT)
Week Six: Saturday, May 21, 2022 (10:00am – 1:00pm EDT) and Tuesday, May 24, 2022 (6:00 – 9:00pm EDT)
Week Seven: Saturday, June 4, 2022 (10:00am – 1:00pm EDT) and Tuesday, June 7, 2022 (6:00 – 9:00pm EDT)
Week Eight: Saturday, June 11, 2022 (10:00am – 1:00pm EDT) and Tuesday, June 14, 2022 (6:00 – 9:00pm EDT)
Please note: There is no class on the following dates – April 16 and 19, May 7 and 10, May 28 and 31.
Format: Live, instructor-led
Registration Fee: TBD
Payment plans are available with $500 initial deposit. Must be paid in full by March 25, 2022.
Registration Closes: TBD
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn ICD-10, HCPCS II, and CPT to prepare for the CPC® exam, then work your way to becoming a certified medical coder. Take this online course from the comfort of your own home, while learning how to correctly code provider diagnosis and services to help optimize reimbursements and avoid costly compliance penalties.
Through lectures, reading assignments, group activities, videos, and quizzes, this training program will cover: anatomy, physiology, medical terminology, coding basics, evaluation management (E/M), surgery, genital system, nervous system, urinary system, pathology, medicine, and much more. Quizzes and homework will be given for each chapter reviewed.
With new knowledge in accurate medical coding and documentation, you will complete this course better prepared to take the CPC® exam.
This course is being offered by the Office of Continuing Professional Education at Rutgers University, in partnership with Revu Healthcare (RH) LLC. Revu Healthcare (RH) LLC is a healthcare consulting firm offering comprehensive regulatory compliance solutions and revenue cycle/integrity support to healthcare providers, hospitals, health systems, physician groups, and other healthcare entities.
Week 1: Introduction to Coding (ICD-10, HCPCS II and CPT) and Review of Anatomy & Physiology/Medical Terminology
- Identify the purpose of the CPT, ICD-10-CM, and HCPCS Level II code books.
- Identify the information in the appendices of the CPT code book, HCPCS Level II code book, and ICD-10-CM code book.
- List the major features of HCPCS Level II codes.
Week 2: Evaluation Management (E/M) Services, Anesthesia, and Modifiers
- Explain the determination of the levels of E/M services.
- Review of modifier descriptions, documentation requirements, and anesthesia coding guidelines.
- Provide practical application of coding for E/M services.
Week 3: Surgery – Integumentary System, Musculoskeletal System, and Respiratory System
- Understand and apply the official ICD-10-CM coding guidelines and CPT code criteria for the Integumentary System, Musculoskeletal System, and the Respiratory System.
- Provide practical application of coding operative reports for the Integumentary System, Musculoskeletal System, and the Respiratory System.
Week 4: Surgery – Cardiovascular System and Digestive System
- Understand and apply the official ICD-10-CM coding guidelines and CPT code criteria for the Cardiovascular System and the Digestive System.
- Provide practical application of coding operative reports for the Cardiovascular System and the Digestive System.
Week 5: Surgery – Genital System, Nervous System, and Urinary System
- Understand and apply the official ICD-10-CM coding guidelines and CPT code criteria for the Genital System, Nervous System, and Urinary System.
- Provide practical application of coding operative reports for the Genital System, Nervous System, and Urinary System.
Week 6: Pathology and Laboratory
- Understand and apply the official ICD-10-CM coding guidelines and CPT code criteria for Pathology and Laboratory.
- Provide practical application of coding for Pathology and Laboratory.
Week 7: Medicine
- Understand and apply the official ICD-10-CM coding guidelines and CPT code criteria for the Medicine section of CPT.
- Provide practical application of coding for the Medicine section of CPT.
Week 8: Refresher
- Review course material in preparation for the CPC exam.
Attendees should have taken the following courses within the last 3-5 years and/or have 1-2 years of billing/coding experience:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Medical Terminology
Methods of Instruction and Evaluation
The instructional methods used in this course include reading assignments, practice exercises and other assignments, audio/video lectures, and chapter review quizzes. To receive a certificate of completion, students must successfully complete the course within the allotted time-frame.
Successful course completion includes:
- An attempt of all required assignments; and
- A passing score of 70% or higher on all module quizzes.
A certification of completion will be awarded upon successful completion.
Meet Your Instructors
Leslie V. Boles, BA, CCS, CPC, CPMA, CHC, CPC-I, CRC
Leslie Boles is a Certified in Healthcare Compliance (CHC) professional and healthcare consultant. Ms. Boles is the Co-Owner and President of Revu Healthcare, LLC and a Coding Instructor at Rutgers University. She has more than 15 years of experience in healthcare, coding, auditing, and compliance in the hospital inpatient/outpatient settings, and physician coding education. Leslie has developed and implemented multiple training programs on physician coding and documentation, Medicare and Medicaid policy, and compliance programs for certified coders. She is a subject matter expert in the areas of E/M, Radiology, OBGYN, General Surgery, Cardiology, and Anesthesia coding. She prides herself in presenting very complex coding and documentation regulations in a simplified manner to physicians and clinicians. She has the credentials of CCS, CPC, CPMA, CHC, CPC-I, and CRC from the American Academy of Professional Coders, American Health Information Management Association, and the Health Care Compliance Association.
Latoya Brown, CPMA, CPC, CGIC
Latoya Brown is the Manager of Compliance Audit & Education at GI Alliance in Southlake, TX.
“Leslie is an incredible Instructor, who explains everything needed to pass the CPC Exam on your first try. She gave me the confidence I needed when I struggled in certain areas. She is amazingly attentive and is with you not only in class, but she checks up on you throughout the week via text, email, or phone call. Leslie gives you the knowledge needed to excel in the future!”
“I can’t express enough how sincerely thankful I am for your CPC Preparation Program! Leslie is one of a kind with her enthusiasm, professionalism, expertise, and knowledge. She is a wealth of information, and on top of that she is an excellent teacher. During the class, Leslie provides a great mix of theory and practical learning activities in a very supporting learning environment. She is a true inspiration and will take you step by step into the medical coding world. I feel so honored to become an AAPC member after passing my CPC exam. Your CPC Preparation Program played the biggest role in my achievement. Thank you Leslie!”
“Leslie has a big personality and an absolute passion for what she does. She is relatable and clear, using real life examples to help solidify concepts. I feel I am prepared for the next step in my career and would definitely take another class with Leslie as the instructor!”
Continuing Education Credits
There are no continuing education credits offered for this course.
Course Requirements and Policies
The following required textbooks must be purchased by each student. They are NOT included with registration.
- 2022 AMA CPT® Professional
- 2022 HCPCS Level II Expert
- 2022 ICD-10-CM Expert
- 2022 CPC® Study Guide
Suggested links to purchase books:
This online course is being delivered via Canvas and Zoom. Please log in 10 minutes before the course start time. Registrants will receive more information as we move closer to the course date, and shortly before the course start date, they will receive an email with a link to access the course.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- Laptop or desktop computers are required for this class.
- Speakers and microphone are highly recommended but not necessary as a call in option is available.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at email@example.com stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $300 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are NOT permitted.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about the Certified Professional Coder (CPC) Preparation Program, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Senior Program Coordinator: Sharon Gutterman
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.