Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Variable Frequency Drives
Course Code: EO0706WA23
Date: March 16, 2023
Time: 8:30 am – 3:45 pm EDT
Format: Live, instructor-led
Registration Fee: $290 per person
Multi Person Discount Fee: $265 per person (Save when you sign up with a colleague!)
NJLWO Discount Fee: $145 per person (available for T, W, and VSWS license holders only)
Registration Closes: March 13, 2023 at 3:00 pm EDT
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to email@example.com.
This electrical training course will introduce you to variable frequency drives (VFDs) and the reasons for their application in controlling the rotational speed of motors and other electrical equipment. While most control circuits used in industrial or commercial applications still use mechanical operating systems, the application of VFDs is increasing as a way to reduce power consumption and other operating costs.
- VFD Theory, Operation, and Applications
- New Installations
- Startup/Feedback Controls
- Control Status, Monitoring, and Troubleshooting
- Maintaining/Servicing VFDs
Who Should Attend?
This class is a great source of information for anyone who wants to improve their understanding of how VFDs work and learn best practices for monitoring and maintenance. Past participants have included:
- Field Service Technicians
- Lines and Meters Superintendents
- Mechanical Engineers
- Operations Managers
- Plant Managers
- Remediation Construction Managers
- Sewer Supervisors and Equipment Operators
- Water and Wastewater Operators
Meet Your Instructor
Joe Longo, Longo Electrical Mechanical Inc.
Mr. Longo is a Mechanical Engineer with more than 30 years of hands-on business operating experience. He is the Owner and CEO of Longo Electrical Mechanical Inc., and he has received many waste industry equipment patents.
Most useful aspect of the course: “The level of detail and experience of the instructor.”
– Past Participant
Most useful aspect of the course: “Discussion on how motors are built and how they function electrically. In other courses on VFDs, most information is focused on what they are driving. It helps a lot to really get into how the motors work and how the drives function in relation to them.”
– Past Participant
“[I learned] How to decide if a VFD will make sense to install or keep operating without one.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The Variable Frequency Drives course is approved for 0.6 Rutgers CEUs, as well as the following credits from professional organizations.
NJ Drinking Water and Wastewater Operators: 6 TCHs (Approval #01-090008-30)
NJ Electrical Contractors: 6 Continuing Education Hours
PA Drinking Water and Wastewater Operators: 6 Recert Hours
Course Requirements and Policies
This online course will be delivered via Rutgers Canvas learning management system and Zoom.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- Laptop or desktop computers are required for this class.
- Speakers and microphone are not necessary as a call-in option is available.
Once you register with OCPE, you will receive an email from “Rutgers University Canvas” saying, “Click here to finish the registration process,” to create your new account in the Canvas Virtual Platform. If you do not see this message in your inbox, please check your junk/spam folder. The course shell will not open until a week before the start date of class. You will receive an email from Claudine Oleskin with directions and more details for the class.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $75 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Attention U.S. Veterans
This course is approved by the New Jersey State Approving Agency for Veterans Training for educational benefits through the GI Bill®. Learn more.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email email@example.com.