Course Status: Not Currently Scheduled
The next offering of this is tentatively planned for February 2024. Please join our email list to be notified when registration opens!
Jump to: Overview | Instructor | Reviews | CE Credits | Contact Us | Related Courses | Join Email List
Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Baseball and Softball Skin Surface Selection and Management
Course Code: AT0503WA23
Date of Most Recent Offering: February 23, 2023
Date: February 23, 2023
Time: 8:30 am – 12:30 pm EST (Log-in time: 8:00 am EST)
Format: Live, instructor-led
Registration Fee: $195 per person
Early Bird Discount Fee: $175 per person (expires February 16, 2023)
Registration Closes: February 21, 2023
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to email@example.com.
Work smarter, not harder – and keep your fields looking great!
Learn how to select the best infield mix for your facility, as well as the basic construction principles of the pitcher’s mound and the batter’s box. Learn the most modern practices of building and maintaining a better infield.
This half-day class was added to the expanding Rutgers athletic field management program in direct response to requests from participants in the Athletic Field Maintenance and Construction program.
- Overview of Soil Physical Properties and ASTM Specifications for Skin Surfaces
- Infield Mixes, Pitcher’s Mound, and Batter’s Box Construction
- Renovation of Skin Surfaces
- Maintenance Practices Used on Public Infield Surfaces
Who Should Attend?
This program was developed specifically for professionals involved in the management and upkeep of baseball and softball fields. Past participants have included:
- Athletic Field Contractors/Consultants
- College/University Athletic Field Maintenance Personnel
- Little League and Midget Football League Officials
- Parks/Recreation Personnel
- Professional Grounds Managers
- Public Works Personnel
- Residential Community Managers
- School Maintenance Personnel
Meet Your Instructors
Scott Bills, Sports Field Solutions, LLC
Keith Fisher, Head Groundskeeper, Toms River Board of Education
Dr. James Murphy, Rutgers University
Dr. Murphy is the Extension Specialist in Turfgrass Management at Rutgers University. He conducts extension and research programs related to identifying best management practices for turfgrasses grown in the metropolitan region around New Jersey. His work often focuses on developing a better understanding of turfgrass response to soil-related stresses. He is internationally recognized as an authority on best management practices that enhance the stress tolerance, persistence, and environmental benefits of cool-season turf.
Rich Watson, Pine Hill Public Schools
“Information is excellent; it made me look at my infield differently.”
– Past Participant
Most useful aspect of the course: “Lots of science backing up structure and maintenance of fields.”
– Past Participant
“[After taking this course,] I will regrade my fields and maintain them better, especially lip buildup.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The most recent offering of Baseball and Softball Skin Surface Selection and Management was approved for the following credits from professional organizations. We will reapply for similar credits the next time the course runs, but we cannot guarantee credit approval for future offerings.
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 4.5 Technical CEUs (DLGS Course #16379)
Course Requirements and Policies
This online course will be delivered via Zoom. On February 22, 2023, registrants will receive an email with a link to access the course. On February 23, please login to the class 30 minutes before start time for a brief overview of the online format. The course will start promptly at 8:30 am EST.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- A computer, tablet, or smartphone
- Microphone is necessary if you’d like to ask questions
- Webcam is optional but not necessary
- Speaker is optional but not necessary (you will be able to listen to the presentation by dialing in on your phone if your computer does not have a speaker)
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $35 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Baseball and Softball Skin Surface Selection and Management, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Program Coordinator: Joe Canzano
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email email@example.com.