Jump to: Register | Course Details | Overview | Instructor | Reviews | CE Credits | Policies | Contact Us | Related Courses | Join Email List
Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Basic Landscape Integrated Pest Management
Course Code: AL0434WA24
Date: October 3, 2023
Time: 9:00 am – 12:00 pm EDT (Log-in time: 8:30 am EDT)
Format: Live, instructor-led
Registration Fee: $175 per person
Early Bird Discount Fee: $165 per person (expires September 26, 2023)
Registration Closes: October 1, 2023
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to email@example.com.
Save time and money by learning Integrated Pest Management! Integrated Pest Management (or IPM) is a commonsense approach that reduces reliance on chemical pest controls.
This half-day webinar will teach you a combination of strategies to predict, prevent, and manage insects and diseases. You’ll learn about specific ornamental plants that are pest resistant, and you’ll review the toxicities and contamination caused by some common landscape pesticides.
Please note: This class does not count toward the requirements for any of our certificate programs. You need to take our Landscape Integrated Pest Management (IPM) class if you are trying to complete the Landscape Management, Public Grounds Management, or Natural Turf and Landscape Management certificates.
Who Should Attend?
This class is a great source of information for anyone who wants to get a general understanding of IPM practices. Past participants have included:
- Buildings & Grounds Supervisors
- Department of Public Works Employees
- Park Maintenance Workers
- Shade Tree Commission Members
Meet Your Instructors
Dr. George Hamilton, Rutgers University
Dr. Hamilton received his Ph.D.in Entomology in 1985 from Rutgers University and immediately joined the Rutgers faculty as an extension specialist in pest management to coordinate New Jersey’s Pesticide Applicator Training and Pesticide Impact Assessment Programs. In 1998, Dr. Hamilton became the statewide IPM coordinator for New Jersey and was involved in reorganizing that program. He is currently the chair of the Department of Entomology at Rutgers. His research interests are in the area of implementing integrated pest management programs and the examination of pesticide usage patterns in New Jersey.
Steve Kristoph, Steven Kristoph Nursery
Steve Kristoph is widely known for his encyclopedic knowledge of plant material. He received his Bachelors and Masters degrees in horticulture from Rutgers University, and he has been an adjunct instructor at Rutgers for over 25 years. He also owns and operates Steven Kristoph Nursery in Monmouth County, NJ, where he grows many types of ornamental trees, shrubs and herbaceous perennials. The landscaping division of his business, P. Steven Kristoph Garden Design, serves both residential and commercial customers and offers a full range of services, including design, installation, maintenance and seasonal color. Steve is passionate about plants and enjoys sharing his passion with others.
Steve Rettke, Rutgers University
Steve Rettke is the Agriculture and Natural Resources Program Associate for Rutgers Cooperative Extension of Monmouth County. His specialty areas include integrated pest management and arthropod monitoring.
“As always, the subject matter expertise is outstanding. I also like how the class had different instructors who provided information, but from a variety of subjects all of which relate to the overall work of landscape and aboriculture.”
– Past Participant
“Online content is great. It allows greater flexibility and increases participation.”
– Past Participant
“I found all the material to be of value.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
This course (3 contact hours) is approved for the following credits from professional organizations.
NJ / CT Pesticide Applicators: 2 units in CORE and PP2; 4 units in 3A, 3B, and 8C
*Please check the NJDEP’s updated policy regarding earning pesticide credits from online courses: https://www.nj.gov/dep/enforcement/pcp/bpo.htm
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): Pending
NJ Licensed Tree Experts (LTE/LTCO): 3.0 CEUs
NJ Urban and Community Forestry (NJUCF): Pending
International Society of Arboriculture (ISA): Pending
Course Requirements and Policies
This online course will be delivered via Zoom.
You will receive an email with a Zoom link to access the course the day before it begins. You will also receive a document with tips on how to use Zoom. On the start date of the course, please login to Zoom 30 minutes before the start time for a brief overview of the online format. The course will begin promptly at 9:00 am.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- A computer, tablet, or smartphone
- Microphone is necessary if you’d like to ask questions
- Webcam is optional but not necessary
- Speaker is optional but not necessary (you will be able to listen to the presentation by dialing in on your phone if your computer does not have a speaker)
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $35 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Basic Landscape Integrated Pest Management, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Program Coordinator: Joe Canzano
Administrative Assistant: Damiana Parada
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email email@example.com.