Course Status: Not Currently Scheduled
Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Beds and Borders Seminar
Course Code: AL0213WA22
Date: March 1 & 2, 2022
Time: 9:00 am – 12:30 pm EST (Log-in time: 8:30 am EST)
Format: Live, instructor-led
Registration Fee: TBD
Multi Person Discount Fee: TBD (save when you sign up with a colleague!)
Registration Closes: TBD
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to email@example.com.
This class is part of the Landscape Management II Certificate Program.
How do you improve a landscape for a client who can’t or won’t spend the money? One way is to improve the “beds and borders,” described by instructor Bruce Neary as “everything on a property that is not turf.”
Using his energetic style, Bruce will take you through the design, installation, and maintenance process. He’ll teach participants to expertly orchestrate and combine herbaceous perennials, bulbs, flowering shrubs, annuals, and small trees to give the residence year-round beauty – and he’ll demonstrate the effect of artistic plant placement and how to maximize the visual elements of garden bed architecture. You’ll get the feel and impact of a mini design seminar!
- Conceiving the Design
- Laying Out the Plans
- Preparing the Site
- Choosing the Best Plants
- Renovating Established Beds
- Composting and Mulching
- Maintenance Considerations
- Staying Flexible
Who Should Attend?
This class is a great source of information for anyone who wants to learn more about soil science and how it affects plant growth. Past participants have included:
- Department of Public Works Employees
- Grounds Maintenance Workers
- Horticulture Technicians
- Park Maintenance Workers
Meet Your Instructors
Bruce Neary, BCN Horticultural Services
Bruce Neary is the owner of BCN Horticultural Services, where he has provided consulting services to landscape architects, contractors, developers, garden centers, nurseries, educators, and the public since 1994. Regarded as an industry expert, Bruce has written several articles for The Landscape Publication, Grounds Maintenance Magazine, and the American Nurseryman. Likewise, he has been a horticultural lecturer at Barlow Flower Farm and for other landscape organizations for over 30 years. Bruce is a member of the Pennsylvania and American Horticultural Societies, Metro Hort Group, and Perennial Plant Association. He received his bachelor’s degree in Agronomy from Rutgers University and his Masters of Agriculture in Horticultural Sciences from Texas A&M.
Continuing Education Credits
The most recent offering of Beds and Borders Seminar was approved for the following credits from professional organizations. We will reapply for similar credits the next time the course runs, but we cannot guarantee credit approval for future offerings.
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 6 Technical Contact Hours
Association of Professional Landscape Designers (APLD): 6 CEUs
International Society of Arboriculture (ISA): Certified Arborist: 3.25; BCMA-Practice: 3.25
Course Requirements and Policies
This online course will be delivered via Zoom. Registrants will receive more information as we move closer to the course date. On June 13, 2022, they will receive an email with a link to access the course.
Please log into class at 8:00AM (30 minutes before start time) for a brief overview of the online format. The course will start promptly at 8:30AM.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- Laptop or desktop computers are required for this class.
- Speakers and microphone are not necessary as a call-in option is available.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $100 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Attention U.S. Veterans
This course is approved by the New Jersey State Approving Agency for Veterans Training for educational benefits through the GI Bill®. Learn more.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email email@example.com.