Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Caring for Ornamental Plants
Course Code: AL0409CA24
Date: December 19, 2023
Time: 9:00 am – 3:30 pm (Check-in time: 8:30 am)
Location: Bioresource Engineering Laboratory (formerly ECC), 18 Ag Extension Way, New Brunswick, NJ 08901 (Directions & Map)
Format: Classroom course
Registration Fee: $210 per person
Early Bird Discount Fee: $195 per person (expires December 12, 2023)
Registration Closes: December 17, 2023
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This class is part of the Landscape Management Certificate Program.
Horticulturist Bruce Neary shares his expertise concerning the care of ornamental plants. He’ll discuss the most modern methods of managing horticulture on commercial and residential sites. You’ll learn to put the right plant in the right place!
- Proper Pruning Times and Techniques
- Building Better Beds
- Soil Testing
- Soil Compaction
- Giving Advice to Customers
- And More!
Who Should Attend?
This class will be useful for anyone who wants to improve their horticultural skills regarding the care and maintenance of ornamental plants. Past participants have included:
- Garden Center Managers
- Horticulture Technicians
- Landscape Managers
- Parks Maintenance Workers
- Shade Tree Commission Members
- Tree Workers
Meet Your Instructor
Bruce Neary, BCN Horticultural Services
Bruce Neary is the owner of BCN Horticultural Services, where he has provided consulting services to landscape architects, contractors, developers, garden centers, nurseries, educators, and the public since 1994. Regarded as an industry expert, Bruce has written several articles for The Landscape Publication, Grounds Maintenance Magazine, and the American Nurseryman. Likewise, he has been a horticultural lecturer at Barlow Flower Farm and for other landscape organizations for more than 30 years. Bruce is a member of the Pennsylvania and American Horticultural Societies, Metro Hort Group, and Perennial Plant Association. He received his bachelor’s degree in Agronomy from Rutgers University and his Masters of Agriculture in Horticultural Sciences from Texas A&M.
Most useful part of the course: “Tons of picture examples with deep explanations.”
– Past Participant
On instructor Bruce Neary: “His exuberance is amazing. Very passionate about his craft. It is contagious. I learned a lot.”
– Past Participant
“Good, well-rounded overview of subject.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The Caring for Ornamental Plants course (5.75 contact hours) is approved for the following credits from professional organizations.
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 5 Technical Contact Hours
NJ Licensed Tree Experts (LTE/LTCO): 5.5 CEUs
NJ Urban and Community Forestry (NJUCF): 5.5 CEUs
International Society of Arboriculture (ISA): Certified Arborist: 5.5; BCMA – Science: 2; BCMA – Practice: 2; BCMA – Management: 1.5
No breakfast will be provided. Lunch will be available for pre-registered attendees only.
NOTE: If you have any dietary restrictions or food allergies, please alert us at least one (1) week in advance of the course start date so that we can make reasonable accommodations. We cannot guarantee accommodations for special requests made after that time.
Course Requirements and Policies
COVID-19 Mask & Vaccination Policies for Face-to-Face Classes
Registrants attending OCPE events are not currently required to wear face masks or provide proof of vaccination.
To continue to protect yourself and others:
- Masks are welcome.
- If you have symptoms, testing is encouraged.
- If you feel unwell, please recover at home. Contact us to cancel your registration at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email@example.com.
Pre-registration is required. We’re sorry, but we cannot guarantee a seat, materials, or meals for walk-in registrants.
Location is subject to change; registrants will be notified in the event of a change.
Campus Parking Policy
All visitors must register their vehicles ONLINE to park on campus. Please follow the guidelines below. Failure to comply with these policies may result in a citation.
- A link to register your vehicle will be provided in your course confirmation email. Please be sure to complete this important step prior to traveling to campus.
- When you park on campus, be sure that your license plate is unobstructed and visible from the driving aisle.
- All Rutgers faculty/staff/students must use their regular Rutgers permit and park in the nearest lot assigned for their permit type.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $35 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Attention U.S. Veterans
This course is approved by the New Jersey State Approving Agency for Veterans Training for educational benefits through the GI Bill®. Learn more.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Caring for Ornamental Plants, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Program Coordinator: Joe Canzano
Administrative Assistant: Damiana Parada
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email email@example.com.