Course Status: Not Currently Scheduled
Course Name: Improving Your Public Communication Skills
Course Code: ER0102WA23
Date of Most Recent Offering: January 11 & 12, 2023
Time: TBD am – TBD pm EST
Format: Live, instructor-led
Registration Fee: $TBD per person
Multi Person Discount Fee: $TBD per person (save when you sign up with a colleague!)
Recycling Series Discount Fee: $TBD per person (Save when you register for all courses in the Recycling Certification Series!)
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to email@example.com.
This class is part of the NJ Recycling Certification Series.
It is a fact – no matter how good your message is, it won’t work if people are not exposed to it. In this course, you will analyze audiences to design public relations and marketing campaigns that will be heard! Part of the second day will be devoted to real-world case studies, put before the attendees so they can apply and demonstrate what they have learned.
- Effective Writing
- Use of Graphic Design
- Media Purchasing (print, television, radio, cable)
- Applications for Social Media
- Public Relations Techniques
Who Should Attend?
If you are completing the NJ Recycling Certification Program in order to become a Certified Recycling Professional, you must take this course.
Take a sneak peek into the hands-on activities included in this course course to see what you’ll learn and practice!
Meet Your Instructor
Bill Jamison is a communications consultant and an accomplished public speaker who has been teaching courses through Rutgers University since 2002. He is certified by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) as a Crisis Emergency Risk Communications trainer and has decades of experience as a communications specialist with the New Jersey Department of Health (NJDOH).
Most useful aspect of the course: “Different ideas for community engagement and using social media and other platforms to improve recycling. The best class so far and very relevant to what a lot of us do on a daily basis.”
– Past Participant
Most useful part of the course: “The break out group where we used what we learned and worked together.”
– Past Participant
“[I learned] How to get the community involved in recycling, including asking recycling questions on Facebook and posting recycling tips on Facebook.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The most recent offering of Improving Your Public Communication Skills was approved for 1.2 Rutgers CEUs, as well as the following credits from professional organizations. We will reapply for similar credits the next time the course runs, but we cannot guarantee credit approval for future offerings.
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 10 Management Contact Hours
NJ Certified Recycling Professionals (CRP): 12 Classroom Recertification Credits
Course Requirements and Policies
This online course will be delivered via Rutgers Canvas learning management system and Zoom.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- Laptop or desktop computers are required for this class.
- Speakers and microphone are not necessary as a call-in option is available.
Once you register with OCPE, you will receive an email from “Rutgers University Canvas” saying, “Click here to finish the registration process,” to create your new account in the Canvas Virtual Platform. If you do not see this message in your inbox, please check your junk/spam folder. The course shell will not open until a week before the start date of class. You will receive an email from Claudine Oleskin with directions and more details for the class.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $75 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Improving Your Public Communication Skills, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Assistant Director: Carol Broccoli
Administrative Assistant: Claudine Oleskin
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email email@example.com.