Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: ArcGIS: Introduction
Course Code: EG0914WB24
Date: April 9, 16, 23, and 30, 2024
Time: 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm EDT (Log-in time: 5:45 pm)
In addition to the live online class sessions that will take place on the dates/times listed above, there will be online homework assignments and activities for students to complete in between the class sessions. If needed, office hours will be available from 7:00 – 8:00pm on Thursdays during the month of April.
Format: Live, instructor-led class sessions with homework assignments to be completed independently
Registration Fee: $1,150 per person
Early Bird Discount Fee: $1050 per person (expires March 19, 2024)
Registration Closes: March 29, 2023
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to email@example.com.
Test out your GIS knowledge and skill with hands-on GIS software application! With a focus on layout and core functionality, this 12-hour online evening course offers an overview of basic GIS and spatial analysis concepts, spatial data types and searching for geographic data, ArcGIS Pro components, and an overview of the ArcGIS platform. Increase your ArcGIS Pro and GIS proficiency with practical, in-class exercises!
- GIS History and Basic Concepts
- ArcGIS Pro and the ArcGIS Platform
- Spatial Data Types and Projections
- Table Joins and Relates
- Geodatabase Concepts
- Thematic Maps and Cartography
- Spatial and Attribute Queries
- Basic Spatial Analysis and Geoprocessing
- Publishing Data
ArcGIS Pro Software Access
All participants in this course will receive access to the ArcGIS Pro software during the class and for one month following the conclusion of the course.
To get the most out of this class, students should come with an understanding of the basic concepts of Geographic Information Systems.
Who Should Attend?
This class is a great source of information for anyone who wants to learn the essentials of mapping with ArcGIS Pro. Past participants have included:
- AutoCAD Drafters
- Community Organizers
- Environmental Scientists
- Flood Zone Researchers
- Lab Managers
- Landscape Architects/Designers
- Plant Health Safety Specialists
- Project Managers
- Public Works Professionals
- REHSs/Health Inspectors
- Sewer Plant Operators
- Transportation Planners
- USDA Officers
- Wastewater Operators
- Water Superintendents
- Wildlife Biologists/Land Managers
Meet Your Instructor
Chris Klaube, Solutions Architect at Langan Engineering and Environmental
Chris Klaube is an experienced GIS professional and software engineer with a Masters in Geographic Information Systems. He has a deep knowledge of the Esri software suite and enterprise GIS systems, as well as web development using the Esri SDK’s. Chris has worked in various roles within GIS for the last 14 years, including as a GIS analyst, GIS systems administrator, and developer. Chris currently works as a Solutions Architect for Langan Engineering and Environmental where he is primarily involved in GIS enterprise management, cloud services and custom application development.
“I really enjoyed this class and the format it was presented in. The assignments were very beneficial to the entire learning process.”
– Past Participant
“Learning how to navigate ArcGIS and completing these projects has given me a well-rounded understanding of the basics of the program.”
– Past Participant
“I’ve been telling everyone what I learned about projections! One thing I found really informative was the formatting lecture, as a map that looks unprofessional casts doubt on the quality of the data. I have reports that I have to write regularly for work and I will suggest making maps to better convey some of the data.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The ArcGIS: Introduction course is approved for 1.2 Rutgers CEUs (12 contact hours), as well as the following credits from professional organizations.
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 8 Information Technology Contact Hours
NJ Drinking Water and Wastewater Operators: 10 TCHs (Approval #01-101902-30)
NJ Health Officers and Registered Environmental Health Specialists (HO/REHS): Rutgers University, NJAES, Office of Continuing Professional Education has been approved by the New Jersey Department of Health as a provider of NJ Public Health Continuing Education Contact Hours (CEs). Participants who complete this education program will be awarded 12 NJ Public Health Continuing Education Contact Hours (CEs).
NJ Licensed Site Remediation Professionals (LSRP): 4 Technical CECs
NJ Professional Engineers: 12 Continuing Professional Competency (CPC) credits
NY Professional Engineers/Land Surveyors: 12 PDHs
The Wildlife Society (TWS): Pending
Course Requirements and Policies
This online course will be delivered via Canvas and Zoom. After you register, you will receive an email from “Rutgers University Canvas” prompting you to click a link to finish setting up your Canvas account. If you do not see this message in your inbox, please check your junk/spam folder.
Registrants will receive more information as we move closer to the course date, including Zoom links to join the live sessions.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- Laptop or desktop computers are required for this class.
- Speakers and microphone are not necessary as a call-in option is available.
Mac Users please note the following minimum hardware recommendations to use ArcGIS Pro on a Mac:
- A quad-core Intel Processor or M-Series(Apple Silicon) Processor
- 256 GB Storage
- 8 GB RAM or more
- Click here for more recommendations for running ArcGIS Pro on MAC
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $100 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Attention U.S. Veterans
This course is approved by the New Jersey State Approving Agency for Veterans Training for educational benefits through the GI Bill®. Learn more.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about ArcGIS: Introduction, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Program Coordinator: Suzanne Hills
Administrative Assistant: Amy Smith
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email email@example.com.