Course Status Notice – Not Scheduled
Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Managing Insect Pests of Ornamental Plants
Course Code: AL0406WA24
Date of Most Recent Offering: February 26, 2024
Date: February 26, 2024 UPDATE THIS FOR NEW OFFERING
Time: 9:00 am – 3:30 pm EST (Log-in time: 8:30 am EST) UPDATE THIS FOR NEW OFFERING
Location: Online UPDATE THIS FOR NEW OFFERING
Format: Live, instructor-led UPDATE THIS FOR NEW OFFERING
Registration Fee: $210 per person UPDATE THIS FOR NEW OFFERING
Early Bird Discount Fee: $195 per person (expires February 19, 2024) UPDATE THIS FOR NEW OFFERING
Registration Closes: February 23, 2024 UPDATE THIS FOR NEW OFFERING
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to email@example.com.
Controlling insects is a lot more complicated than just applying pesticide controls. Learn what you need to know! This online class will cover the following necessary topics:
- Diagnosing Insect Pest Problems on Ornamentals
- Plant Damage Types
- Monitoring: Predicting Pest Activity
- Sustainable Pest Management
- Biology and Management of Key Pests (sucking insects and mites; defoliators)
- Biology and Management of Key Pests (borers, leafminers, and gallmakers)
Taught by Dr. Paula Shrewsbury, Extension Specialist, University of Maryland, this class covers all seven of these topics with practical tips and quick identification clues.
Who Should Attend?
This class is a great source of information for anyone who wants to learn more about how to identify and manage insect pests that affect ornamental landscape plants. Past participants have included:
- Buildings and Grounds Supervisors
- Garden Center Employees
- Greenhouse Technicians
- IPM Technicians
- Landscape Company Owners
- Lawn Care Professionals
- Master Gardeners
- Parks Department Employees
- Pesticide Applicators
Meet Your Instructor
Dr. Paula Shrewsbury, University of Maryland
Dr. Shrewsbury is a Professor and Extension Specialist in Ornamental and Turf IPM at the University of Maryland. Her educational background includes a B.S. in Plant Science from the University of Rhode Island, a M.S. in Entomology from the University of California, Riverside, and a Ph.D. in Entomology from the University of Maryland. She has worked with the green industries for more than 25 years. Paula conducts applied research and extension education programs on IPM. The overall focus of her program is to create sustainable landscapes, nurseries, and turf systems with an emphasis on biological control, conservation of beneficial arthropods, and management of invasive species. Paula is a long time contributor to the University of Maryland Extension IPM Alert weekly newsletter.
“Very thorough explanation of the types of insects you will encounter and how to recognize them.”
– Past Participant
“Very focused professor, very knowledgeable. Did not waste any time during the giving of the class. She showed us a lot of insects hard to see in our normal life. A+ for her.”
– Past Participant
“I learned how to look for and monitor pests and how to identify those pests.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The most recent offering of Managing Insect Pests of Ornamental Plants (5.25 contact hours) was approved for the following credits from professional organizations. We will reapply for similar credits the next time the course runs, but we cannot guarantee credit approval for future offerings.
NJ / CT Pesticide Applicators: 4 units in 10A, 3A, 3C, 8C, PP2
*Please check the NJDEP’s updated policy regarding earning pesticide credits from online courses: https://www.nj.gov/dep/enforcement/pcp/bpo.htm
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 5 Technical Contact Hours
NJ Licensed Tree Experts (LTE/LTCO): 5.25 CEUs
NJ Urban and Community Forestry (NJUCF): 5.5 CEUs
International Society of Arboriculture (ISA): Certified Arborist: 5, BCMA – Science: 2, BCMA – Management: 3
DE, NY, MA, and MD Pesticide Applicators: If you need pesticide credits in these states, you must register and notify Joe Canzano at least 45 days before the course start date. Call 848-932-7317 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Course Requirements and Policies
Managing Insects and Mites on Woody Plants: An IPM Approach. The cost for this text is $29.95 for Tree Care Industry Association (TCIA) members and $44.95 for non-members. For ordering information, please contact the TCIA at 603-314-5380.
This online course will be delivered via Zoom.
Registration will close on February 23, 2024. On February 23, registrants will receive an email with a link to access the course and a document with tips on how to use Zoom. On the day of the class, please log in to Zoom 30 minutes before the course start time for a brief overview of the online format. The course will start promptly at 9:00 am EST.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- A computer, tablet, or smartphone
- Microphone is necessary if you’d like to ask questions
- Webcam is optional but not necessary
- Speaker is optional but not necessary (you will be able to listen to the presentation by dialing in on your phone if your computer does not have a speaker)
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at email@example.com stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $35 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Attention U.S. Veterans
This course is approved by the New Jersey State Approving Agency for Veterans Training for educational benefits through the GI Bill®. Learn more.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Managing Insect Pests of Ornamental Plants, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.