Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Pest Management of Landscape Turf
Course Code: AL0403CA23
Date: April 12, 2023
Time: 9:00 am – 3:30 pm (Check-in time: 8:30 am)
Location: Bioresource Engineering Laboratory (formerly ECC), 18 Ag Extension Way, New Brunswick, NJ 08901 (Directions & Map)
Format: Classroom course
Registration Fee: $210 per person
Early Bird Discount Fee: $195 per person (expires April 5, 2023)
Registration Closes: April 11, 2023
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Troubleshooting pest problems is a skill customers expect (and demand) from landscape professionals and public grounds managers. Weeds, diseases, and insects are ready to attack weak turf and create an eyesore.
In this one-day class, you’ll learn how to effectively diagnose and treat insect, disease, and weed problems in turf. Instructors Rich Buckley (Director of the Rutgers Plant Diagnostic Laboratory), and Matt Elmore (Extension Specialist), make this class both fun and practical.
Who Should Attend?
Anyone interested in getting involved in pest control in turfgrass environments can benefit from taking this course. Past participants have included:
- Cemetery Grounds and Maintenance Workers
- Golf Turf Superintendents and Grounds Crew
- Landscape Contractors
- Nursery Owners
- Parks Supervisors and Crew Members
- Pesticide Applicators
- Public Works Supervisors and Crew Members
- School Buildings and Grounds Supervisors and Crew Members
Meet Your Instructors
Rich Buckley, Rutgers University
Rich Buckley runs the Plant Diagnostic Lab and Nematode Detection Service at the Ralph Geiger Turfgrass Education Center at Rutgers. With decades of experience working in one of the leading diagnostic labs in the country, he is highly regarded as a leader in the field of turfgrass problem solving. After earning his BS in Entomology and Plant Pathology from the University of Delaware, Richard Buckley received an MS in Turfgrass Pathology from Rutgers University. In 2006, he received the Rutgers Turfgrass Alumni Association Achievement Award. In 2012, he was awarded the New Jersey Turfgrass Association Recognition Award.
Dr. Matthew Elmore, Rutgers University
Matt Elmore is an Assistant Extension Specialist in Weed Science with the Rutgers University Department of Plant Biology. Matt earned his B.S. in Turfgrass Science from Penn State University before moving south and earning an M.S. and Ph.D. from the University of Tennessee with a focus in turfgrass weed control. Prior to joining Rutgers, Matt was a Turfgrass Extension Specialist for Texas A&M AgriLife in Dallas, TX, where his research efforts explored new strategies to control problematic weeds and reduce irrigation inputs in turfgrass. His program at Rutgers will focus on novel strategies to control weeds with fewer pesticide inputs. The program will also focus on developing alternatives to synthetic pesticides and understanding the influence of management practices on weed competitiveness.
“Good, well-rounded coverage of diseases, insects, and weeds, as well as effective options for treating.”
– Past Participant
Most useful aspect of the course: “Learning how to identify insects and what kind of damage they do to turf.”
– Past Participant
On instructor Rich Buckley: “I could listen to him talk about this subject all day. Perfect delivery of subject.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The Pest Management of Landscape Turf course is approved for the following credits from professional organizations.
MA Pesticide Applicators: Pending
MD Pesticide Applicators: Pending
NJ / CT Pesticide Applicator Credits: Pending
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): Pending
NY Pesticide Applicators: Pending
PA Pesticide Applicators: Pending
DE Pesticide Applicators: If you need pesticide credits in this state, you must register and notify Joe Canzano at least 45 days before the course start date. Call 848-932-7317 or send an email to email@example.com.
No breakfast will be provided. Box lunches will be available for pre-registered attendees only.
NOTE: If you have any dietary restrictions or food allergies, please alert us at least one (1) week in advance of the course start date so that we can make reasonable accommodations. We cannot guarantee accommodations for special requests made after that time.
Course Requirements and Policies
COVID-19 Mask & Vaccination Policies for Face-to-Face Classes
All students attending classes in person are required to comply with these rules to gain entry to class:
- Provide proof of full vaccination* or proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test (test performed within 72 hours of the event)
- Present valid photo ID with name matching vaccination card or negative test result
- Wear face masks indoors in all indoor spaces (includes both classrooms and public spaces like restrooms, hallways, elevators, stairwells, etc.). Masks may be temporarily removed while eating or drinking indoors.
To ensure adequate time for an immune response to occur, a person is considered fully vaccinated 2 weeks after completion of a two-dose mRNA series (Pfizer or Moderna) or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
If you are not feeling well or have any COVID symptoms, please protect yourself and others by staying home. Contact us to cancel your registration at 848-932-9271, option 2 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pre-registration is required. We’re sorry, but we cannot guarantee a seat, materials, or meals for walk-in registrants.
Location is subject to change; registrants will be notified in the event of a change.
Campus Parking Policy
All visitors must register their vehicles ONLINE to park on campus. Please follow the guidelines below. Failure to comply with these policies may result in a citation.
- A link will be provided in your course registration confirmation email. Please be sure to complete this important step prior to traveling to campus.
- When you park on campus, be sure that your license plate is unobstructed and visible from the driving aisle.
- All Rutgers faculty/staff/students must use their regular Rutgers permit and park in the nearest lot assigned for their permit type.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at email@example.com stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $35 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Attention U.S. Veterans
This course is approved by the New Jersey State Approving Agency for Veterans Training for educational benefits through the GI Bill®. Learn more.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Pest Management of Landscape Turf, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Program Coordinator: Joe Canzano
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.