Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Organic Turfgrass Management
Course Code: AT0410CA24
Date: February 8, 2024
Time: 8:30 am – 1:00 pm EST (Check-in time: 8:00 am)
Location: Bioresource Engineering Laboratory (formerly ECC), 18 Ag Extension Way, New Brunswick, NJ 08901 (Directions & Map)
Format: Classroom course
Registration Fee: $210 per person
Early Bird Discount Fee: $195 per person (expires February 1, 2024)
Registration Closes: February 6, 2024
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to email@example.com.
This class is part of the Natural Turf and Landscape Management Certificate Program.
Any successful organic turf management program must rely on sound, science-based turfgrass management principles and practices. This half-day program, led by Dr. James Murphy, Extension Specialist in Turf Management, and Bradley S. Park, Sports Turf Education and Research Coordinator, will introduce you to the science underlying a proper long-term organic turf program. Topics include: soil health management, selecting the proper plant species, pest management strategies without synthetic pesticides, and organic turf care in practice.
- Organic Turfgrass Management Versus Integrated Pest Management (IPM) and Other Commonly Cited Management Systems
- Soil Health Management for Organic Turf Management
- Selecting the Proper Plant Species for Organic Turfs
- Cultural Management Techniques for Organic Turfs
- Pest Control Strategies
Who Should Attend?
This class is well-suited for anyone interested in learning about organic turfgrass management principles. Past participants have included:
- Facilities Directors
- Landscape Architects
- Landscape Business Owners
- Landscape Designers
- Lawn Care Managers
- Parks Maintenance Workers
- Pesticide Applicators
- Recreation Department/Athletic Facility Managers
Meet Your Instructors
Dr. James Murphy, Rutgers University
Dr. Murphy is the Extension Specialist in Turfgrass Management at Rutgers University. He conducts extension and research programs related to identifying best management practices for turfgrasses grown in the metropolitan region around New Jersey. His work often focuses on developing a better understanding of turfgrass response to soil-related stresses. He is internationally recognized as an authority on best management practices that enhance the stress tolerance, persistence, and environmental benefits of cool-season turf.
Brad Park, Rutgers University
Brad Park is a Laboratory Researcher with the Rutgers Department of Plant Biology. Brad performs traffic stress research on cool-season turfgrass species commonly established for sports fields. He routinely visits athletic facilities in New Jersey to assist turf managers in solving problems associated with high traffic sports fields. He is also actively involved in research projects concerning low-input turfgrasses for public grounds, home lawns, and highway roadsides.
Most useful part of the course: “Learning about various cultural practices that can prevent pests and fungus.”
– Past Participant
“Really good overview of organic practices and available materials, along with good explanation of organic versus IPM (and why the distinction matters).”
– Past Participant
“[I learned about] Using more tolerant grass species – will implement in future seeding.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The Organic Turfgrass Management course (4.5 contact hours) is approved for the following credits from professional organizations.
NJ / CT Pesticide Applicators: 4 units in 3B, 8C, PP2, and 13
*Please check the NJDEP’s updated policy regarding earning pesticide credits from online courses: https://www.nj.gov/dep/enforcement/pcp/bpo.htm
NJ Certified Fertilizer Applicators: Pending
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 3 Management and 5 Technical Contact Hours (course #DLGS-RUCPE23-29)
No meals will be provided at this course.
Course Requirements and Policies
COVID-19 Mask & Vaccination Policies for Face-to-Face Classes
Registrants attending OCPE events are not currently required to wear face masks or provide proof of vaccination.
To continue to protect yourself and others:
- Masks are welcome.
- If you have symptoms, testing is encouraged.
- If you feel unwell, please recover at home. Contact us to cancel your registration at 848-932-9271, option 2 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pre-registration is required. We’re sorry, but we cannot guarantee a seat, materials, or meals for walk-in registrants.
Location is subject to change; registrants will be notified in the event of a change.
Campus Parking Policy
All visitors must register their vehicles ONLINE to park on campus. Please follow the guidelines below. Failure to comply with these policies may result in a citation.
- A link to register your vehicle will be provided in your course confirmation email. Please be sure to complete this important step prior to traveling to campus.
- When you park on campus, be sure that your license plate is unobstructed and visible from the driving aisle.
- All Rutgers faculty/staff/students must use their regular Rutgers permit and park in the nearest lot assigned for their permit type.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at email@example.com stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $35 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.