Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Technical Writing
Course Code: EO0136WA24
Date: June 18, 2024
Time: 8:30 am – 1:15 pm EDT
Format: Live, instructor-led
Registration Fee: $225.00 per person
Multi-Person Discount Fee: $199.00 per person (Save when you sign up with a colleague!)
NJLWO Discount Fee: $112.50 per person (available for T, W, and VSWS license holders only)
Registration Closes: June 14, 2024 at 3:00 pm EDT
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Technical writing is utilized in any field or industry that requires communicating internal procedures, the design and production of products, the implementation of workplace procedures, defining organizational policies, or to sell products and services to others.
In this course, participants will learn how to plan, structure, write, review, and publish a technical document using a defined, manageable five-step process that can be applied to the creation of manuals, user guides, and procedures.
Participants will learn how to:
- develop technical documents by defining the scope of writing and the stakeholder audience.
- create the structure and the format of a technical document.
- apply the principles of the writing process when developing drafts.
- review and analyze the content throughout the writing process.
- prepare technical documents for final publishing to communicate with stakeholders.
Who Should Attend?
If your job responsibilities including documenting processes and procedures through the creation of manuals, user guides, and other technical documents, this class is a great way to improve your skills and learn new techniques for written communication. Past participants have included:
- Department of Public Works Superintendents
- Environmental Engineers
- IT Specialists
- Program Coordinators
- Project Managers
- Registered Environmental Health Specialists
The Handbook of Technical Writing with 2020 APA Update by Gerald J. Alred, Walter E. Oliu. Jun 15, 2020
Technical Writing Process, 1st Edition by Kieran Morgan, Ali McCart, Sanja Spajic. May 23, 2015
Technical Writing, Simplified Fourth Edition by Nell Johnson, Mary Sylvester. March 10, 2017
Meet Your Instructor
Sharon Kinsey has more than 25 years of professional work experience and is currently an Associate Professor in the Department of 4-H Youth Development at Rutgers University, where she leads a local 4-H youth development program in Camden County. She began her career as an agricultural journalist, putting to work her bachelor’s degree in journalism. She also hold a master’s degree in strategic communication and leadership, and she is working to complete her doctorate in global studies in education.
“[I learned] How to schedule phases of the writing process to stay in front of deliverables.”
– Past Participant
“[I learned] How to simplify sentences; this will be useful when writing technical emails.”
– Past Participant
“Everything was great!”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The Technical Writing course is approved for 0.45 Rutgers CEUs, as well as the following credits from professional organizations.
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): Pending
NJ Drinking Water and Wastewater Operators: 4.5 TCHs (Approval #01-042106-30)
NJ Health Officers and Registered Environmental Health Specialists (HO/REHS): Rutgers University, NJAES, Office of Continuing Professional Education has been approved by the New Jersey Department of Health as a provider of NJ Public Health Continuing Education Contact Hours (CEs). Participants who complete this education program will be awarded 3.75 NJ Public Health Continuing Education Contact Hours (CEs).
Course Requirements and Policies
This online course will be delivered via Rutgers Canvas learning management system and Zoom.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- A laptop or desktop computer is required for this class.
- Speakers and microphone are not necessary as a call-in option is available.
Once you register with OCPE, you will receive an email from “Rutgers University Canvas” saying, “Click here to finish the registration process,” to create your new account in the Canvas Virtual Platform. If you do not see this message in your inbox, please check your junk/spam folder.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at email@example.com stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $25 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.