Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Recycling 101: A New Jersey Centric Introduction to the Topic
Course Code: ER0202WA24
Date: April 11, 18, 25, and May 2, 2024
Time: 8:30 am – 3:15 pm EDT
Format: Live, instructor-led
Registration Fee: $295 per person
Registration Closes: April 29, 2024 at 3:00 pm EDT
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to email@example.com.
Want to know the ins and outs of recycling in New Jersey – and beyond – but do not need to become a New Jersey Certified Recycling Professional (CRP)? This course is for you!
Using the popular alternate certification series as a foundation, Recycling 101 will provide basic, need-to-know information on topics ranging from regulations to economics, communication skills/tools, contracting for services, and much more.
The four-day program is offered totally online and led by instructors who are active experts in the field who will instruct using cutting edge, real-world information and insights. Breakout sessions and in-class exercises will reinforce the lecture material and provide opportunities to network with fellow students. Access to a camera and a microphone are strongly suggested as this is a participatory learning experience, not an online seminar.
Upon completion of this program, attendees will earn a certificate of completion/continuing education units (CEUs) and be eligible for Certified Public Works Manager (CPWM) and Certified Recycling Professional (CRP) recertification credits (if currently certified) but will not be designated as a New Jersey Certified Recycling Professional. Individuals who require certification as part of their municipal positions, must complete either the full or alternate recycling certification series. Visit here for information on these programs: https://cpe.rutgers.edu/recycling-solid-waste/nj-crp-certification.
Who Should Attend?
The course is open to anyone and everyone with an interest in recycling – businesses, consultants, members of environmental commissions/green teams, educational institutions and more. There is no application process or experience requirements – and no exams or testing! Just register and you are in!
The agenda for the Alternate Series is as follows:
- AM: The Recycling Coordinator’s Primer
- PM: NJDEP Regulations/Facts/Figures
- AM: Effective Communication/Promotion and Using Reporting Data
- PM: Filing/Reporting/Enforcement – Municipal and County Levels
- Recycling Economics, Markets, and Marketing
- AM: Collection Techniques/Contracting
- PM: Case Studies
Meet Your Instructor
Mr. D’Altilio has over 36 years of government experience serving as Ridgefield, NJ Councilperson, Chairman of the Police Committee, Environmental Commissioner, Essex County Solid Waste Advisory Council (SWAC) Chairman, Asst. Director of Public Works, Sanitation Superintendent and Recycling Coordinator, Chairman of NJDEP Reinvigorating Recycling Government Workgroup, and a participant in the Modernization Evaluation of the NJDEP Solid and Hazardous Waste Management Program. He is the author of “The Recycling Coordinator’s Primer.” He served for 14 years as the President of the Association of New Jersey Recyclers (ANJR) and is now a Board Member. He is the recipient of the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection & Energy – Outstanding Achievement in Recycling (1992), Association of New Jersey Recyclers – President’s Award (1994), and Association of New Jersey Recyclers – Recycling Excellence Award (2001), among many other honors.
– Past Participant
– Past Participant
Most useful aspect of the course: “Quote here.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The Recycling 101 course is approved for 2.4 Rutgers CEUs (24 contact hours), as well as the following credits from professional organizations.
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): Pending
NJ Certified Recycling Professionals (CRP): 6 Classroom Recertification Credits per day
Course Requirements and Policies
This online course will be delivered via Rutgers Canvas learning management system and Zoom.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- A laptop or desktop computer is required for this class.
- Speakers and microphone are not necessary as a call-in option is available.
Once you register with OCPE, you will receive an email from “Rutgers University Canvas” saying, “Click here to finish the registration process,” to create your new account in the Canvas Virtual Platform. If you do not see this message in your inbox, please check your junk/spam folder.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $50 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about the Alternate Recycling Certification Series, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Assistant Director: Carol Broccoli
Administrative Assistant: Claudine Oleskin
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email email@example.com.