Jump to: Register | Course Details | Overview | Instructor | Reviews | CE Credits | Policies | Contact Us | Related Courses | Join Email List
Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Irrigation 101
Course Code: AL0608WA24
Date: September 12, 2023
Time: 9:00 am – 12:30 pm EDT (Log-in time: 8:30 am EDT)
Format: Live, instructor-led
Registration Fee: $210 per person
Early Bird Discount Fee: $195 per person (expires September 5, 2023)
Registration Closes: September 10, 2023
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In this online class, instructor Bob Dobson draws on his 50 plus years of irrigation experience to outline the major system components of an irrigation system. He will discuss design principles, system maintenance, and management procedures. This course provides solid basic knowledge of landscape irrigation systems and a foundation to build upon.
This course also goes beyond just an introduction to irrigation and answers questions such as:
- Why do we even irrigate the landscape?
- What are our goals when we irrigate?
- What happens to water when it leaves the sprinkler?
- How much water does it take to maintain a healthy landscape?
- How do we regulate the amount of water applied to the landscape?
- What are the consequences of over irrigating?
- What determines if an irrigation system is a good system or bad system?
Come and learn from an experienced irrigation expert who’s been there and done it!
- 5 Key Elements for Efficient Irrigation
- Irrigation Uniformity vs. Irrigation Uniformity
- Consequences of Overwatering
- Irrigation System Components
- Water Supply
- Point of Connection
- Limit of Supply
- Backflow Protection
- Control Valves
- Irrigation Dispersion Devices
- Spray Heads
- Rotating Stream Heads
- Rotary Heads
- Micro-spray Devices
- Drip Irrigation
- Timing Devices
- Design Principles – Putting It All Together
- Water Supply Limitations
- Backflow Device Selection
- Sprinkler / Emitter Spacing
- Sectioning / Zoning Sprinkler Heads
- Distribution Network – Mainline Piping
- Control Valve Locations
- Lateral Piping – Connecting the Dots
- Control System Selection
- Sensor Installation
- Irrigation System Maintenance and Management
- System Activation
- In-season Maintenance
- System Winterization
- Periodic Inspections
- Water Application Adjustments
Who Should Attend?
This class is a great source of information for anyone who wants to learn the basics of landscape irrigation. Past participants have included:
- Athletic Field Maintenance Professionals
- Business Owners
- Landscape Designers
- Property Managers
- Public Works Professionals
Meet Your Instructor
Bob Dobson, Middletown Sprinkler Co.
By participating in this course, you will have the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of irrigation from a true expert! Bob Dobson is President of Middletown Sprinkler Co. in Port Monmouth, NJ, a full service irrigation firm that has been serving the northeast for over 40 years and specializes in water efficient landscape irrigation systems that promote healthy and vibrant landscapes while conserving water and reducing water costs. Bob is an Irrigation Association (IA) Certified Irrigation Designer for residential, commercial, and golf course irrigation systems and an IA Certified Irrigation Contractor.
A leading voice in the irrigation industry, Bob is a past president of the national Irrigation Association, the Irrigation Association of New Jersey, and the New Jersey Turfgrass Association. He is also a past chairman of the national Irrigation Association’s Certification Board of Governors and has served on the IA’s Board of Directors. He is a member of the New Jersey Landscape Irrigation Contractors Examining Board.
Bob has been honored with the IA’s Industry Achievement Award and the Irrigation Association of New Jersey’s Lifetime Achievement Award. He was also recognized by the EPA with a WaterSense Excellence Award. He is the co-author of a book entitled Golf Course Irrigation: Environmental Design and Management Practices, which was published in 2003.
“Bob taught me three design aspects that will result in water conservation and even distribution, which will aid me in better designs.”
– Past Participant
“Very well explained for all levels.”
– Past Participant
“I think the whole program was very useful.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The Irrigation 101 course is approved for the following credits from professional organizations.
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): Pending
NJ Landscape Irrigation Association Licensing Board: Pending
Course Requirements and Policies
This online course will be delivered via Zoom.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- A computer, tablet, or smartphone
- Microphone is necessary if you’d like to ask questions
- Webcam is optional but not necessary
- Speaker is optional but not necessary (you will be able to listen to the presentation by dialing in on your phone if your computer does not have a speaker)
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at email@example.com stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $35 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Irrigation 101, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Program Coordinator: Joe Canzano
Administrative Assistant: Damiana Parada
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.