Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Managing Turfgrass Insects
Course Code: AT0407CA23
Date: December 1, 2022
Time: 9:00 am – 3:30 pm (Check-in time: 8:30 am)
Location: Bioresource Engineering Laboratory (formerly ECC), 18 Ag Extension Way, New Brunswick, NJ 08901 (Directions & Map)
Format: Classroom course
Registration Fee: $210 per person
Early Bird Discount Fee: $195 per person (expires November 28, 2022)
Registration Closes: November 30, 2022
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to email@example.com.
Taught by Dr. Albrecht Koppenhofer, Extension Specialist in Turf Entomology, this stimulating turf management course will improve your ability to assess the severity of an infestation and select the right control measures based on the insects’ biology.
This hands-on turfgrass management course will review common insect pests within our region and their natural enemies in landscape turf. You will learn to successfully identify turfgrass insects and the damage they can cause. You will examine insect specimens in class. You will learn to identify turfgrass insects and their signs of damage. You will also learn what pesticides work best for specific targets – and you’ll earn a good amount of pesticide credits.
Confront insect infestation by understanding:
- Which insects have infested the turf;
- How severe the infestation is;
- How to use insect life cycles/biology to control them; and
- How to prevent future problems.
Who Should Attend?
This class is a great source of information for anyone who wants to learn more about how to identify and control turfgrass insects. Past participants have included:
- Department of Public Works Employees
- Facility Managers
- Golf Course Superintendents
- Grounds Managers
- Lawn Care Managers
- Pesticide Applicators
- Sports Fields Managers
Meet Your Instructor
Dr. Albrecht Koppenhöfer, Rutgers University
Dr. Albrecht Koppenhöfer is an extension specialist and professor in the Department of Entomology at the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences at Rutgers University. He works to develop and implement sustainable integrated pest management relying on little or no pesticides. The goal of his program is to develop and implement ecologically-based IPM for turfgrass systems with an emphasis on sustainability and biological control.
Most useful part of the class: “Small size of class made for excellent presentation; use of microscope and visual inspection of insects.”
– Past Participant
On instructor Dr. Albrecht Koppenhöfer: “Easy to understand and extremely knowledgeable about subject.”
– Past Participant
Most useful part of the class: “Visual slides, actual grubs shown.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The Managing Turfgrass Insects course is approved for the following credits from professional organizations.
MD Pesticide Applicators: 8 credits in 3C
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 2.5 Technical, 2.5 Management, and 0.5 Government Contact Hours (DLGS Course #16157)
NJ / CT Pesticide Applicators: 6 units in 3B, 8C, and PP2
PA Pesticide Applicators: 5 credits in PC, 07, 18, and 23
DE, NY, and MA Pesticide Applicators: If you need pesticide credits in these states, you must register and notify Joe Canzano at least 45 days before the course start date. Call 848-932-7317 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No breakfast will be provided. Box lunches will be available for pre-registered attendees only.
NOTE: If you have any dietary restrictions or food allergies, please alert us at least one (1) week in advance of the course start date so that we can make reasonable accommodations. We cannot guarantee accommodations for special requests made after that time.
Course Requirements and Policies
COVID-19 Mask & Vaccination Policies for Face-to-Face Classes
All students attending classes in person are required to comply with these rules to gain entry to class:
- Provide proof of full vaccination* or proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test (test performed within 72 hours of the event)
- Present valid photo ID with name matching vaccination card or negative test result
- Wear face masks indoors in all indoor spaces (includes both classrooms and public spaces like restrooms, hallways, elevators, stairwells, etc.). Masks may be temporarily removed while eating or drinking indoors.
To ensure adequate time for an immune response to occur, a person is considered fully vaccinated 2 weeks after completion of a two-dose mRNA series (Pfizer or Moderna) or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
If you are not feeling well or have any COVID symptoms, please protect yourself and others by staying home. Contact us to cancel your registration at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email@example.com.
Pre-registration is required. We’re sorry, but we cannot guarantee a seat, materials, or meals for walk-in registrants.
Location is subject to change; registrants will be notified in the event of a change.
Campus Parking Policy
All visitors must register their vehicles ONLINE to park on campus. Please follow the guidelines below. Failure to comply with these policies may result in a citation.
- A link will be provided in your course registration confirmation email. Please be sure to complete this important step prior to traveling to campus.
- When you park on campus, be sure that your license plate is unobstructed and visible from the driving aisle.
- All Rutgers faculty/staff/students must use their regular Rutgers permit and park in the nearest lot assigned for their permit type.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $35 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Attention U.S. Veterans
This course is approved by the New Jersey State Approving Agency for Veterans Training for educational benefits through the GI Bill®. Learn more.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Managing Turfgrass Insects, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Program Coordinator: Joe Canzano
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email email@example.com.