Course Status: Not Currently Scheduled
Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Turfgrass Disease Management
Course Code: AT0403CA23
Date of Most Recent Offering: October 27, 2022
Time: TBD am – TBD pm (Check-in time: TBD am)
Location: Bioresource Engineering Laboratory (formerly ECC), 18 Ag Extension Way, New Brunswick, NJ 08901 (Directions & Map)
Format: Classroom course
Registration Fee: $TBD per person
Early Bird Discount Fee: $TBD per person (expires TBD)
Registration Closes: TBD
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This class focuses exclusively on the major turf diseases you will battle in the field. Rich Buckley, Director of the Rutgers Plant Diagnostic Lab, will teach you how to identify and control turf diseases from Dollar Spot to Pythium Blight. Rich emphasizes an integrated pest management approach to identify and alleviate the cause of the problem, rather than repeatedly treating its symptoms. Rich makes it fun yet informative!
This insight from Rich Buckley provides a glimpse into the type of knowledge you’ll gain from attending this class: “Poor turf is not the result of disease; disease is a result of poor turf. Be a good turf disease manager by becoming a competent agronomist. Then you can grow turf that tolerates, resists, or quickly recovers from pathogen attack.”
- Selection and Use of Fungicides
- Integrated Control Strategies for Turf Diseases
- Diseases Caused by the Fungus Rhizoctonia
- Root-infecting Patch Diseases
- Diseases Caused by the Fungus Pythium
- Spots in the Grass: Dollar Spot, Copper Spot, Dead Spot, Red Thread
- Rusts, Molds, and Mildew
- Fairy Rings
Who Should Attend?
This class is well-suited to individuals who handle turf management in a variety of settings including home lawns, parks, public grounds, school grounds, and more. Past participants have included:
- Commercial Pesticide Applicators
- Department of Public Works Employees
- Fertilizer Technicians
- Golf Course Superintendents
- Grounds Management Professionals
- Lawn Care Professionals
- Park Maintenance Workers
- School Grounds Maintenance Workers
Meet Your Instructor
Rich Buckley, Rutgers University
Rich Buckley runs the Plant Diagnostic Lab and Nematode Detection Service at the Ralph Geiger Turfgrass Education Center at Rutgers. With decades of experience working in one of the leading diagnostic labs in the country, he is highly regarded as a leader in the field of turfgrass problem solving. After earning his BS in Entomology and Plant Pathology from the University of Delaware, Richard Buckley received an MS in Turfgrass Pathology from Rutgers University. In 2006, he received the Rutgers Turfgrass Alumni Association Achievement Award. In 2012, he was awarded the New Jersey Turfgrass Association Recognition Award.
“Rich Buckley is a terrific instructor and amazingly knowledgeable. Enjoy his commentary along the way to break up the dryness of the subject.”
– Past Participant
“Really enjoyed all of it, each individual disease was covered well.”
– Past Participant
“I learned about the different diseases for this area and the conditions that favor them.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The most recent offering of Turfgrass Disease Management was approved for the following credits from professional organizations. We will reapply for similar credits the next time the course runs, but we cannot guarantee credit approval for future offerings.
MD Pesticide Applicators: 8 credits in 3C
NJ / CT Pesticide Applicators: 11 units in 3B, 8C, and PP2
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 2 Technical, 2.5 Management, and 1 Government Contact Hour (Course #16152)
PA Pesticide Applicators: 10 credits in PC, 07, 18, and 23
DE, NY, and MA Pesticide Applicators: If you need pesticide credits in these states, you must register and notify Joe Canzano at least 45 days before the course start date. Call 848-932-7317 or send an email to email@example.com.
No breakfast will be provided. Lunch will be available for pre-registered attendees only.
NOTE: If you have any dietary restrictions or food allergies, please alert us at least one (1) week in advance of the course start date so that we can make reasonable accommodations. We cannot guarantee accommodations for special requests made after that time.
Course Requirements and Policies
COVID-19 Mask & Vaccination Policies for Face-to-Face Classes
Registrants attending OCPE events are not currently required to wear face masks or provide proof of vaccination.
To continue to protect yourself and others:
- Masks are welcome.
- If you have symptoms, testing is encouraged.
- If you feel unwell, please recover at home. Contact us to cancel your registration at 848-932-9271, option 2 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pre-registration is required. We’re sorry, but we cannot guarantee a seat, materials, or meals for walk-in registrants.
Location is subject to change; registrants will be notified in the event of a change.
Campus Parking Policy
All visitors must register their vehicles ONLINE to park on campus. Please follow the guidelines below. Failure to comply with these policies may result in a citation.
- A link to register your vehicle will be provided in your course confirmation email. Please be sure to complete this important step prior to traveling to campus.
- When you park on campus, be sure that your license plate is unobstructed and visible from the driving aisle.
- All Rutgers faculty/staff/students must use their regular Rutgers permit and park in the nearest lot assigned for their permit type.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at email@example.com stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $35 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Attention U.S. Veterans
This course is approved by the New Jersey State Approving Agency for Veterans Training for educational benefits through the GI Bill®. Learn more.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Turfgrass Disease Management, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Program Coordinator: Joe Canzano
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.