Jump to: Overview | Instructor | Reviews | CE Credits | Contact Us | Related Courses | Join Email List
Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Municipal Shade Tree Management
Course Code: AL0813WA23
Date of Most Recent Offering: November 22, 2022
Time: TBD am – TBD pm EST (Log-in time: TBD am)
Format: Live, instructor-led
Registration Fee: $TBD per person
Early Bird Discount Fee: $TBD per person (expires TBD)
Registration Closes: TBD
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Communication is the number one challenge in shade tree management, and in this one-day class Licensed Tree Expert Ted Szczawinski provides new tools and strategies to communicate more clearly with your most important constituents.
To communicate more effectively with tree care contractors, builders, and engineers, you’ll leave with detailed specifications to ensure a higher level of efficiency and accountability. To communicate more effectively with residents, elected officials, and the media, you will learn new visual tools to create and manage shade tree inventories with GIS (Geographical Information Systems).
Who Should Attend?
This class is well-suited for anyone involved in shade tree management. Past participants have included:
- Department of Public Works Employees
- Licensed Tree Experts and Tree Care Operators (LTE/LTCO)
- Parks Workers
- Shade Tree Commission Chairmen
- Township Tree Inspectors
- Tree Service Owners
Meet Your Instructor
Ted Szczawinski, Licensed Tree Expert
Ted Szczawinski is a Licensed Tree Expert and professor of plant science and biology. He will share his knowledge on the topic of municipal shade tree management in a manner that’s fun, interactive, and easy-to-understand!
“Very informative and easy to understand. Ted did a phenomenal job of explaining the material, attendee interaction, and providing supplemental source material.”
– Past Participant
Most useful part of the course: “Learning accurate methods for tree planting and [how] to inspect and determine tree health.”
– Past Participant
“[I learned] How to more effectively communicate with my superiors, work colleagues, and town residents.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The most recent offering of Municipal Shade Tree Management was approved for the following credits from professional organizations. We will reapply for similar credits the next time the course runs, but we cannot guarantee credit approval for future offerings.
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 3 Technical, 2 Management, and 1 Government Contact Hours
NJ Licensed Tree Experts (LTE): 5.5 CEUs; THIS CLASS IS LTE ONLY – NO LTCO!
NJ Urban and Community Forestry (NJUCF): 5 CEUs
International Society of Arboriculture (ISA): Certified Arborist: 6; BCMA – Practice: 3; BCMA – Management: 3
Course Requirements and Policies
This online course will be delivered via Canvas. After you register, you will receive an email from “Rutgers University Canvas” prompting you to click a link to finish setting up your Canvas account. If you do not see this message in your inbox, please check your junk/spam folder.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- A computer, tablet, or smartphone
- Microphone is necessary if you’d like to ask questions
- Webcam is optional but not necessary
- Speaker is optional but not necessary (you will be able to listen to the presentation by dialing in on your phone if your computer does not have a speaker)
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at email@example.com stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $35 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Attention U.S. Veterans
This course is approved by the New Jersey State Approving Agency for Veterans Training for educational benefits through the GI Bill®. Learn more.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Municipal Shade Tree Management, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Program Coordinator: Joe Canzano
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.