Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Tree Pruning
Course Code: AL0806CB23
Date: February 22, 2023
Time: 9:00 am – 3:30 pm (Check-in time: 8:30 am)
Location: Bioresource Engineering Laboratory (formerly ECC), 18 Ag Extension Way, New Brunswick, NJ 08901 (Directions & Map)
Format: Classroom course with field demonstrations
Registration Fee: $270 per person
Early Bird Discount Fee: $245 per person (expires February 15, 2023)
Registration Closes: February 21, 2023
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to email@example.com.
In this class, Licensed Tree Expert Ted Szczawinski will teach you where to prune, when to prune, the best equipment to use, and how to stay safe. Field demonstrations will be done, weather permitting.
- Proper Methods of Cabling and Bracing
- Best Positioning Techniques for Cuts Against the Collar
- How to Use False Crotch and Rope When Working in Trees with No Bucket Access
- And more!
Who Should Attend?
This class is a great source of information for anyone who wants to learn best practices for tree pruning. Past participants have included:
- Department of Public Works Employees
- Environmental Commissioners
- Forestry Supervisors
- Grounds Maintenance Professionals
- Landscape Architects
- Landscape Foremen
- Landscape Technicians
- Park Maintenance Professionals
- Tree Climbers
- Tree Maintenance Workers
- Tree Trimmers
Meet Your Instructor
Ted Szczawinski, Licensed Tree Expert
Ted Szczawinski, a Licensed Tree Expert and Dean of Students at Bergen County Technical Schools, is one of the most highly rated instructors at OCPE. He brings his extensive plant and tree science knowledge to class and shares it in a way that is down-to-earth, fun, interactive, and easy-to-understand.
Most useful aspect of the course: “I learned about how the tree is a whole living system and you can’t just deal with the trunk and crown.”
– Past Participant
“I love the outdoor demos – I learned so much!”
– Past Participant
On instructor Ted Szczawinski: “Very knowledgeable, great people skills, amazing at conveying information.”
– Past Participant
Want to hear more about students’ experiences in our Tree Pruning class? Check out this article – Pruning with a Purpose: Course Teaches Science and Skill Behind Tree Pruning!
Continuing Education Credits
The Tree Pruning course is approved for the following credits from professional organizations.
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 5 Technical CEUs (DLGS Course #16378)
NJ Licensed Tree Experts (LTE/LTCO): 5 CEUs
NJ Urban and Community Forestry (NJUCF): 5 CEUs
International Society of Arboriculture (ISA): Pending
No breakfast will be provided. Box lunches will be available for pre-registered attendees only.
NOTE: If you have any dietary restrictions or food allergies, please alert us at least one (1) week in advance of the course start date so that we can make reasonable accommodations. We cannot guarantee accommodations for special requests made after that time.
Course Requirements and Policies
COVID-19 Mask & Vaccination Policies for Face-to-Face Classes
Registrants attending OCPE events are not currently required to wear face masks or provide proof of vaccination.
To continue to protect yourself and others:
- Masks are welcome.
- If you have symptoms, testing is encouraged.
- If you feel unwell, please recover at home. Contact us to cancel your registration at 848-932-9271, option 2 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pre-registration is required. We’re sorry, but we cannot guarantee a seat, materials, or meals for walk-in registrants.
Location is subject to change; registrants will be notified in the event of a change.
Campus Parking Policy
All visitors must register their vehicles ONLINE to park on campus. Please follow the guidelines below. Failure to comply with these policies may result in a citation.
- A link will be provided in your course registration confirmation email. Please be sure to complete this important step prior to traveling to campus.
- When you park on campus, be sure that your license plate is unobstructed and visible from the driving aisle.
- All Rutgers faculty/staff/students must use their regular Rutgers permit and park in the nearest lot assigned for their permit type.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at email@example.com stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $35 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Tree Pruning, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Program Coordinator: Joe Canzano
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.