Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: NJ Compost Operator Certification Course
Course Code: ER0303YB24
Date: March 21 & 22, 2024 (Participants must attend both days of the class.)
Time for Day 1: 8:30 am – 2:30 pm EDT
Time for Day 2: 9:30 am – 11:30 am EDT
Location for Day 1: Online
Location for Day 2: In person site visit to compost facility in Hamilton Township, NJ (registrants will receive directions to exact location)
Format: Hybrid course; Online class session on Day 1 and in-person site visit on Day 2
Registration Fee: $295.00 per person
Multi Person Discount Fee: $255.00 per person (Save when you sign up with a colleague!)
Registration closes: March 18, 2024 at 3:00 pm
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to email@example.com.
N.J.A.C. 7:26A – 1.4(a)(14)(xiv) states that all operators of composting facilities in New Jersey must “attend a composting course…..approved by the Department.” The NJAES Office of Continuing Professional Education, in conjunction with the NJ Department of Environmental Protection and in cooperation with the Association of New Jersey Recyclers, has developed this course which meets the requirements of the regulations and will help you to improve your facility’s operation.
NOTE: This course will be held in a hybrid format:
- Day 1 will be an online class session running from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm (with a lunch break)
- Day 2 will be an in-person visit to the Hamilton Township (Mercer County) compost facility that will begin at 9:30 am and run until approximately 11:30 am
- You must attend both days of the class in order to receive a Certificate of Completion
- NJDEP Regulatory Requirements
- The Scientific Principles of Composting, or “Why Compost Happens”
- How to Avoid the “Murphy’s Law” of Composting and What to Do When the Law Strikes (Health and Odor Issues)
Who Should Attend?
If you are looking to become a certified operator of a New Jersey composting facility, this class is for you. It is also a great opportunity to earn recertification credits toward your NJ CRP, NJ CPWM, NJ PE, or NJ HO/REHS license. Past participants have included:
- Compost Site Managers
- Clean Communities Coordinators
- Environmental Health Specialists
- Environmental Scientists
- Farm Managers
- Project Engineers
- Public Health Professionals
- Public Works Professionals
- Recycling Coordinators
- Recycling Facility Managers
Meet Your Instructor
Wayne DeFeo, DeFeo Associates
Wayne DeFeo is the founder of DeFeo Associates, a full service environmental consulting firm. He is an NJDEP Certified Compost Facility Operator, member of the US Composting Council, and brings more than 25 years of experience in the recycling/solid waste field to the classroom. Past students describe him as “funny and engaging” and “very informative” with “great energy and passion for the subject.”
“The regulatory section was very helpful. I feel I have a firm grip on all of the aspects from permitting to violations now.”
– Past Participant
“[After taking this course, I now] know what the DEP is looking for on inspection [and] how to take corrective action.”
– Past Participant
“The instructor was knowledgeable about the material and was able to provide good tips for inspections.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The NJ Compost Operator Certification Course is approved for 0.8 Rutgers CEUs (8 contact hours), as well as the following credits from professional organizations.
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 4 Management and 4 Government
NJ Certified Recycling Professionals (CRP): 8 Classroom Recertification Credits
NJ Health Officers and Registered Environmental Health Specialists (HO/REHS): Rutgers University, NJAES, Office of Continuing Professional Education has been approved by the New Jersey Department of Health as a provider of NJ Public Health Continuing Education Contact Hours (CEs). Participants who complete this education program will be awarded 5 NJ Public Health Continuing Education Contact Hours (CEs).
NJ Professional Engineers (PE): 8 Continuing Professional Competency (CPC) Credits
No meals will be provided at this course.
Course Requirements and Policies
This online course will be delivered via Rutgers Canvas learning management system and Zoom.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- Laptop or desktop computers are required for this class.
- A microphone is required.
Once you register with OCPE, you will receive an email from “Rutgers University Canvas” saying, “Click here to finish the registration process,” to create your new account in the Canvas Virtual Platform. If you do not see this message in your inbox, please check your junk/spam folder. The course shell will not open until a week before the start date of class. You will receive an email from Claudine Oleskin with directions and more details for the class.
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
COVID-19 Mask & Vaccination Policies for Face-to-Face Classes
Registrants attending OCPE events are not currently required to wear face masks or provide proof of vaccination.
To continue to protect yourself and others:
- Masks are welcome.
- If you have symptoms, testing is encouraged.
- If you feel unwell, please recover at home. Contact us to cancel your registration at 848-932-9271, option 2 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pre-registration is required. We’re sorry, but we cannot guarantee a seat, materials, or meals for walk-in registrants.
Location is subject to change; registrants will be notified in the event of a change.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at email@example.com stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $75 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Attention U.S. Veterans
This course is approved by the New Jersey State Approving Agency for Veterans Training for educational benefits through the GI Bill®. Learn more.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about the NJ Compost Operator Certification Course, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Assistant Director: Carol Broccoli
Administrative Assistant: Claudine Oleskin
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.