Jump to: Register | Course Details | Overview | Instructor | Reviews | CE Credits | Policies | Contact Us | Related Courses | Join Email List
Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Water and Wastewater Chemistry: Back to the Basics
Course Code: EO0107WA24
Date: April 4, 2024
Time: 8:30 am – 3:45 pm EDT
Format: Live, instructor-led
Registration Fee: $280.00 per person
Multi Person Discount Fee: $250.00 per person (Save when you sign up with a colleague!)
NJLWO Discount Fee: $140.00 per person (available for T, W, and VSWS license holders only)
Registration Closes: April 1, 2024 at 3:00 pm
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to email@example.com.
This course presents the basic chemistry and treatment methodologies used in drinking water and wastewater operations. Even if you aren’t taking a licensing exam in the near future, let this class help you to review and reinforce the basics!
- Back to the Basics – balancing equations, chemical symbols, detection limits, scientific notation, etc.
- Chemical Contaminants of Drinking Water and NJDEP/USEPA MCLs/Wastewater Discharge Limits
- Wastewater Treatment Chemistry
- Secondary “Nuisance” Chemicals Related to Water Treatment
- Chemical Disinfection – Including Alternative Disinfectants
- The Chemistry of Corrosion Control/Impact to Wastewater
- The Chemical Principles of Coagulation, Flocculation, and Filtration
- Basic Chemical Dosage Calculations and Problem Solving
Who Should Attend?
This class is a great source of information for anyone who wants to strengthen their understanding of chemistry applications for the water and wastewater fields. Past participants have included:
- Environmental Consultants
- Environmental Engineers
- Environmental Health and Safety Managers
- Field Service Representatives
- Health & Safety Engineers
- Industrial Technicians
- Laboratory Managers
- Plant Engineers
- Project Scientists
- Public Works Directors
- Sewer/Drainage Workers
- Utility Technicians
- Water and Wastewater Treatment Operators
Meet Your Instructor
Mike Furrey, Agra Environmental and Laboratory Services
Michael J. Furrey is currently working as Owner/President and private consultant for his own company (Agra Environmental and Laboratory Services) after working for 12 years for a major public water utility, the North Jersey District Water Commission. He is a 1987 graduate of Cook College, Rutgers University with a BS in Environmental Chemistry. He served as the Chair of the Information Technology Committee for the NJ Section AWWA. He also served on the Advisory Board for Licensing of Water and Wastewater Operators. He was also the past chair for the NJAWWA Education Committee from 1996 to 1998. He currently holds a T4/W3 Water license and is an instructor for the Introductory and Advanced Water Treatment Courses in NJ. He has also coordinated many accredited seminars for organizations such as an Adjunct Professor for Rutgers University, NJIT, NJWEA, NJWA, NJWC and the AWWA-NJ. Mr. Furrey was the AWWA-NJ section chair in 2015 and currently serves as a legislative liaison for the section locally in NJ. He also served as Environmental Commission and Greenway Chair for Vernon Township, NJ. He is currently the chair of the Vernon Township Municipal Utility Authority. He was also recently appointed to the Drinking Water Quality Institute and a member of the NJ Future Lead in Drinking Water 35-member Task Force.
Most useful part of the course: “Learning about MCL violations, regulations, and treatment options.”
– Past Participant
“Good explanations of common issues in the water wastewater field.”
– Past Participant
“Very informative for a refresher / Good instructors.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The Water and Wastewater Chemistry: Back to the Basics course is approved for 0.6 Rutgers CEUs as well as the following credits from professional organizations.
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 5 Technical, 1 Government Contact Hours
NJ Drinking Water and Wastewater Operators: 6 TCHs (Approval #01-010105-30)
NJ Professional Engineers: 6 Continuing Professional Competency (CPC) Credits
PA Drinking Water and Wastewater Operators: 6 Recertification Hours
Course Requirements and Policies
This online course will be delivered via Rutgers Canvas learning management system and Zoom.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- Laptop or desktop computers are required for this class.
- Speakers and microphone are not necessary as a call-in option is available.
Once you register with OCPE, you will receive an email from “Rutgers University Canvas” saying, “Click here to finish the registration process,” to create your new account in the Canvas Virtual Platform. If you do not see this message in your inbox, please check your junk/spam folder. The course shell will not open until a week before the start date of class. You will receive an email from Claudine Oleskin with directions and more details for the class.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $75 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Attention U.S. Veterans
This course is approved by the New Jersey State Approving Agency for Veterans Training for educational benefits through the GI Bill®. Learn more.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Water and Wastewater Chemistry: Back to the Basics, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Assistant Director: Carol Broccoli
Administrative Assistant: Claudine Oleskin
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email email@example.com.