Course Status Notice – Not Scheduled
We do not have an offering of this course scheduled at this time. Please join our email list to be notified when the next offering is scheduled!
Jump to: Overview | Instructor | Reviews | CE Credits | Contact Us | Related Courses | Join Email List
Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Management and Supervision: An Introduction
Course Code: EO0122WA21
Date: June 9, 2021
Time: 8:30 am – 12:00 pm EDT
Format: Live, instructor-led
Registration Fee: TBD
Multi Person Discount Fee: TBD (save when you sign up with a colleague!)
Registration Closes: TBD
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you a new manager – or do you have your sights set on a managerial position in the future? This half-day class is a great place to start – or to pick up some tips for those currently in a management position!
- Dealing with differing goals of team members – and navigating toward common goals
- How to establish behaviors that are consistent with organizational missions/goals
- Setting – and reinforcing – individual and team goals
- How to constructively give feedback – both positive and negative
Who Should Attend?
This class is a great source of information for individuals who want to develop their management skills or prepare to move into a management role. Past participants have included:
- Office Managers
- Operations Shift Supervisors
- Project Managers
- Public Works Directors
- Pump Station Foremen
- Safety Officers
- Sewer Supervisors
- Treatment Plant Managers
- Wastewater Supervisors
Meet Your Instructor
Terry has served as one of OCPE’s most valued and popular instructors for over thirty years. While employed as a Senior Leadership and Mechanical Trainer for PSE&G’s Production Training Center, he crafted a parallel training career with the New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station (NJAES)/Rutgers University Office of Continuing Professional Education (OCPE). Teaching programs in topics ranging from workplace safety to motor controls, O & M of pumps, blueprint reading – and an extremely popular Management Skills for Supervisors workshop – Terry’s courses provide useful, timely real-world information that resonates and stays with attendees.
“[I learned] The four ways to be a leader: Be first, Be fair, Be firm, and Be flexible.”
– Past Participant
“[I learned] My influence is not only on less experienced employees, it can also be on the organization level as well.”
– Past Participant
On instructor Terry Tomsky: “Kept flow of class upbeat and interesting.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The most recent offering of Management and Supervision: An Introduction was approved for the following credits from professional organizations. We will reapply for similar credits the next time the course runs, but we cannot guarantee credit approval for future offerings.
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): Pending
NJ Drinking Water and Wastewater Operators: 3 TCHs (Approval #01-050903-30)
NJ Health Officers and Registered Environmental Health Specialists (HO/REHS): Rutgers University, NJAES, Office of Continuing Professional Education has been approved by the New Jersey Department of Health as a provider of NJ Public Health Continuing Education Contact Hours (CEs). Participants who complete this program will be awarded 3.5 CEs.
Course Requirements and Policies
This online course will be delivered via Rutgers Canvas learning management system and Zoom.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- Laptop or desktop computers are required for this class.
- A microphone is required.
Once you register with OCPE, you will receive an email from “Rutgers University Canvas” saying, “Click here to finish the registration process,” to create your new account in the Canvas Virtual Platform. If you do not see this message in your inbox, please check your junk/spam folder. The course shell will not open until a week before the start date of class. You will receive an email from Claudine Oleskin with directions and more details for the class.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at email@example.com stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $100 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Management and Supervision: An Introduction, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Assistant Director: Carol Broccoli
Administrative Assistant: Claudine Oleskin
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.