Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Customer Service Skills for Utility Operations
Course Code: EO0108WA23
Date: April 26 & 27, 2023 (Participants must attend both days of the class.)
Time: 8:30 am – 12:00 pm EDT
Format: Live, instructor-led
Registration Fee: $280 per person
Multi-Person Discount Fee: $250 per person (Save when you sign up with a colleague!)
NJLWO Discount Fee: $140 per person (available for T, W, and VSWS license holders only)
Registration Closes: April 21, 2023 at 3:00 pm EDT
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Customer service is something everyone needs to be aware of – really! How can we go beyond service to engage our customers in an experience they will not soon forget? This course was developed to provide tips, techniques, and tools to help you build and improve your customer service skills and mindset.
- Customer Service Versus Customer Experience
- Customer Focused Mindsets and Behaviors
- Understanding Customer Behaviors
- Increasing Customer Engagement
- Building a Customer Centric Culture
- Cultivating Ownership and Accountability
- Sustaining Customer Relationships
Who Should Attend?
From utility crews out in the field to personnel in a call center, and from front line workers to senior leaders, all attendees will gain valuable knowledge to help them address an array of customer service challenges because customer service is EVERYONE’S job! Past participants have included:
- Assistant Superintendents
- DPW Directors
- Customer Service Representatives
- Equipment Operators
- Field Service Representatives
- Maintenance Technicians
- Operations Mechanics
- Revenue Integrity Operations Supervisors
- Sewer Maintenance Coordinators
- Water Utility Workers
Meet Your Instructor
Bill Jamison is a communications consultant and an accomplished public speaker who has been teaching courses through Rutgers University since 2002. He is certified by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) as a Crisis Emergency Risk Communications trainer and has decades of experience as a communications specialist with the New Jersey Department of Health (NJDOH).
Most useful part of the course: “Learning different skills to deal with customers.”
– Past Participant
“[I learned] How to diffuse a situation with an irate customer.”
– Past Participant
Most useful aspect of the course: “[Learning] How to make customers feel that you are doing your best to assist them.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The Customer Service Skills for Utility Operations course is approved for 0.6 Rutgers CEUs, as well as the following credits from professional organizations.
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): Pending
NJ Drinking Water and Wastewater Operators: 6 TCHs (Approval #01-010801-30)
NJ Health Officers and Registered Environmental Health Specialists (HO/REHS): Rutgers University, NJAES, Office of Continuing Professional Education has been approved by the New Jersey Department of Health as a provider of NJ Public Health Continuing Education Contact Hours (CEs). CEs for Customer Service Skills for Utility Operations are still pending.
PA Drinking Water and Wastewater Operators: 6 Recert Hours
Course Requirements and Policies
This online course will be delivered via Rutgers Canvas learning management system and Zoom.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- Laptop or desktop computers are required for this class.
- Speakers and microphone are not necessary as a call-in option is available.
Once you register with OCPE, you will receive an email from “Rutgers University Canvas” saying, “Click here to finish the registration process,” to create your new account in the Canvas Virtual Platform. If you do not see this message in your inbox, please check your junk/spam folder. The course shell will not open until a week before the start date of class. You will receive an email from Claudine Oleskin with directions and more details for the class.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at email@example.com stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $75 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Customer Service Skills for Utility Operations, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.